Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DIY Decorative Jars

So I am snowed in for Part 2 of Snowmaggedon so I decided to get my craftanista juices flowing. I had a few Bath and Body Works candle jars that I wanted to use in my makeup room so I cleaned out all the wax, got some painters tape, some paint and stickers and got to work!


First you will need a candle jar. I like Bath and Body Works candle jars because they're round and can hold a lot of stuff! Of course make sure that you've burned the candle down as far as you can.

Then fill a very small pot with water and bring it to a complete boil on the stove. Pour the boiling water into the candle jar, make sure not to fill it all the way to the top. I usually do this at night right before bed that way the hot water has all night to break up the wax. Side note - you will probably need to do this two or three times before all the wax is out.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT POUR THE WAXY WATER DOWN YOUR SINK DRAIN!!! Pour it outside in the yard!

This is what the wax will look like once your hot water cools. Again you'll need to do this 2-3x to get it all out.

Once all the wax is out, wash your jar in hot soapy water and let dry.


To get the sticker off the bottom of the jar, just pour some rubbing alcohol on it, let it sit for a minute or two and you will be able to easily peel/scrap it off.







Use a little more rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to clean your jar and get all the sticky stuff or smudges that might be on it.

You will then want to line your jar any way you'd like with painters tape. I used a fatter painters tape but they do make thinner versions but I could only find it at Michael's craft store and it was by Martha Stewart and a little too pricey for me! So I used what I had. I found it easier to put my jar against my bottle of rubbing alcohol to get a steady, precise tape line. Then paint away!

Side note: I had a bit of trouble getting this kind of paint to go smoothly on the glass. Just make sure you don't "glob" it on! I found that the metallic paint looked much better on the jars then the "regular" paint.




Let this dry overnight...don't get inpatient or you might end up with a goopy mess!




So once I let me jars dry I added some glittery sticker letters and decorative stickers to "spice up" my jars. You of course could just leave them as is! I think they turned out pretty good but I did learn my lesson with being impatient with the paint drying and one jar (with pink paint) got a little lumpy!







I hope you enjoyed my little DIY project and if you've tried this DIY please share your pictures with me!!

Items Needed:
Empty jar
All purpose or glass paint (preferably metallic)
Painters tape - any size you want
Sticker letters
Stickers
Small paint brush

No comments:

Post a Comment